Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reflections on the DADT Repeal

My, it's nice to get good news sometimes, isn't it? I'm celebrating the repeal of DADT today...and thinking about one of my favorite phrases (from UU minister Theodore Parker, and then rephrased by Martin Luther King Jr.): the arc of the universe is long but it bends toward justice.

Some days, like today, I think that must be true. Other days I'm not so sure. As the income gap in America widens and more people are worse off than their parents, I have my moments of despair.

I think there are two things I hold onto. First, although the universe might actually bend in lots of directions, not always toward justice, I am heartened by the fact that what we celebrate, in the moment and years or decades later, is the justice bending. Something in the human psyche can see that this is the right way to bend...something yearns for goodness, as Adler said.

And that's part of the other piece. Whether or not the universe bends toward justice, or frankly whether or not it bends at all, I choose to live my life as though it does...and as though I must be part of that bending, to help it along.

Today it feels as though we've rounded a corner. So, at least for a moment, the bending feels true enough.

No comments: