Saturday, January 19, 2013

Being and Becoming White: Resources

I'm sometimes asked, after a platform address with a lot of "teaching" in it, to share my resources. And I always say "oh, of course, I'll put them on my blog!" and then it is Sunday afternoon and I have officially lost the ability to function. Can you guess how often they make it here? So I'm putting up the major resources I'm using for tomorrow's platform tonight. Ta da! Website for traveling exhibit about race The classic essay on white privilege A great list of common "detours" (I like that phrasing, too) that lead to white guilt and denial [I didn't use this resource as much for this platform, but I think it's a good list] And two books: "The Invention of the White Race, Volume 1: Racial Oppression and Social Control" by Theodore W. Allen - great if you have, oh I don't know, a PhD and a lot of time (but it is a seminal work in this field) "What If All the Kids Are White? Anti-Bias Multicultural Education with Young Children and Families" by Louise Derman-Sparks and Patricia G. Ramsey - totally readable and engaging, I think even if you have nothing to do with young children because it just has some good background on white identity and privilege Happy resource reading!

1 comment:

Jeffrey B. Perry said...

I would like to encourage people to look at the work of Theodore W. Allen, an anti-white supremacist working class intellectual/activist who, beginning in 1965, did pioneering research and analysis on “white” privilege and who, in 1994 and 1997, authored the two-volume “The Invention of the White Race” re-published by Verso Books in November 2012. Allen argues that a system of “white race” privileges was created and maintained by the ruling class in their own class interest and that these “white race” privileges are "a poison bait," "ruinous" to the interests of working people. In particular, I would like to encourage people to look at my article “The Developing Conjuncture and Insights from Hubert Harrison and Theodore W. Allen on the Centrality of the Fight Against White Supremacy.” That article (which discusses the development of Allen's thought) and many other pieces by and about Allen can be found at http://www.jeffreybperry.net/_center__font_size__3__font_color__sepia___b_4__theodore_w__allen_br___font_size_86151.htm
In solidarity – Jeffrey B. Perry