Sunday, July 15, 2012

Taking Off My Make-up

I'm preparing to leave on a week's vacation tomorrow--a yearly camping trip with extended family. I'm looking forward to exploring part of the country I haven't seen before, and of course to reconnecting with far-flung cousins and with my own husband and children! But you know what I'm looking forward to most? Not wearing make-up. I don't wear a lot of make-up. And what I do wear is almost indistinguishable from my natural coloring; it makes one wonder why I spend money on it anyway. The answer is the same reason that I'm glad to have a break from it: make-up makes me feel put-together, professional, ready for my role in the world. It makes me think a bit about my colleague Mary Herman's reflection on the masks we wear at last Sunday's platform service, although in this case I think the mask can be a positive one. Or maybe it's less a mask than a marker, to ourselves most importantly, that we are engaged in the world in a particular way. But any engagement needs breaks, and so taking off my make-up signals to me that I'm engaging with the world in a different way, that I don't need to look "presentable" or prepared. (This isn't a comment, by the way, on whether or not any of us really need to wear make-up to look anything...just a reflection on my own practice). So I'm looking forward to my week without make-up, my week of different engagement in the world. And whatever your "make-up" is, I hope you get a break from it now and then, if only so you can return refreshed, pores clean and open, ready to take on the world once again.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Just don't forget the moisturizer, gal.

Carrie said...

I think it's interesting to think about our "uniforms", the things we wear that make us feel professional or put us in a certain frame of mind. I had an English professor in college who said once that she always wore skirts or dresses to teach. That she wore and liked pants, but that they didn't feel like "teaching" clothes to her, so that's not what she wore. There is something to that for me too. I don't wear make-up usually, and I don't always wear skirts, but I do have my "professional" outfits (and especially shoes). It does provide a clear sort of marker between being "off" and being "on".