Saturday, September 29, 2012

Whose City Is This? Wait...Which City Is This?

I've been thinking even more than usual about DC recently, since the last week has had a lot of Washington Interfaith Network events for me. I've been to a meeting with the chancellor of DC schools, a clergy breakfast to talk about education in Ward 4, a strategy team meeting for city-wide action, and this morning a neighborhood canvassing walk to sign up "WIN voters"--basically, people who agree with WIN's platform of affordable housing, jobs, and education and who are willing to learn more. Anyway, all those conversations with clergy in the city and neighbors and lay members of congregations, combined with all the driving around DC for these various meetings (which were in NE, SE, and NW) has me wondering which city DC really is. Is it the seat of national power, the marble and guards and power deals? Is it the Petworth row houses where I was this morning, the mix of longtime residents and new folks? Is it Ward 2, where they want more trash clean-up on the streets, or Ward 8, where they just want jobs, jobs, jobs? DC is even more complicated than most cities, I think, because it's the nation's capital as well as being a city made up of pretty distinct neighborhoods, even villages. What I've been struck with is how much I've learned just from the conversations I've had in the last few days, through a cracked-open door or across a boardroom table. And how these seemingly different cities can come together around some core issues. DC politics can be disheartening and frustrating--maybe because it's all tied up in national politics (and that dependence is a whole other post about autonomy and voting representation). But today, after two hours walking the neighborhoods and asking people what they care about, I'm feeling more hopeful than usual about our ability to create a new political will, a will of the people. If you want to sign up as a WIN voter, go to their website. And let me know if you did, so WES can get credit! We've committed to signing up 500 voters, and my great experience this morning has me thinking we might just be able to do it.

No comments: