Friday, November 18, 2011

Justice work by day


Last night I was privileged to share the invocation--with a local rabbi--at a candlelight vigil with DC Vote. Six members of WES joined me there, and whttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gife all stood in witness as budget negotiations took place in the White House, budget negotiations that will almost surely include riders on the DC budget from congresspeople whose districts are nowhere near our city.

Like this vigil, much of my justice work occurs at night and is part of the ongoing work of the Washington Ethical Society; that is, it involves lay leaders and the whole community is invited to take part. But sometimes I do justice work by day, showing up at a council hearing or a clergy gathering to speak my mind.

I wanted to share with you some daytime justice work I did a couple of weeks ago, when I spoke at a DC Council hearing about hate crimes. The incidence of hate crimes against members of the transgendered community has risen sharply in DC, and the violence is tragic and disturbing. Here is my testimony, from the Human Rights Campaign blog.

No comments: