Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Resilience and Tulips


This morning my vase of red tulips looked ruined--flowers drooping sadly, leaves limp. To my horror, there was absolutely no water in the vase. Somehow, I had managed to so neglect the tulips that they were clearly dead.

But something in me thought...well, why not? Add a little water and see what happens.

This evening, the tulips have perked up, standing up straight, their bright red slightly darkened with age but their leaves once again firm.

I see metaphor everywhere, of course. The tulips, like the human heart, surprising us over and over again with the power of resilience. The power, even after woeful neglect, to drink in the water provided to us and stand tall again. Someone does have to notice the drooping, of course, and fill the vase. But still. What a sight, the tulips proud and beautiful once more.

No comments: