Friday, March 9, 2012

Beauty Around Every Median Strip


This has been the week, in Washington, DC, when springs has popped into bloom.

Now, there may be an important conversation about why this is happening the first week of March, and what this says about the state of the planet--actually, I think there's definitely an important conversation about that. But flowers are flowers, and this week I have just been enjoying them.

And they are everywhere! Trees budding--red buds, early cherries, especially the magnificent magnolias--and every kind of bulb pushing up from the ground. I'm enjoying them in people's yards, including my own, grateful for the way we adorn our houses so that they bring us and others joy.

This morning I was grateful for them in the median strip on Georgia Avenue, too. The strip was just packed with daffodils, the very light yellow ones that seem almost white. Sometime, someone planted those bulbs. And I am strangely warmed by the fact that someone in the road maintenance world knew that seeing beautiful flowers--or the red buds planted along the middle of 16th Street--or the azaleas planted in other parts of the city--that seeing beauty in the middle of asphalt would make people happy. Would make me happy.

Thank you. It's so nice to know there's beauty everywhere.

No comments: